An Abbreviated History
The Coeur d’Alene Area Branch of AAUW was organized on February 12, 1938 at a meeting held with 37 charter members.
Throughout the history of the Coeur d’Alene Area Branch, the members have placed an emphasis on supporting education for women, which continues to this day. In 1951, the Branch began to hold used book sales to fund scholarships for women students at North Idaho Junior College (now North Idaho College). The first scholarships were awarded to entering freshmen. Later, it was changed to a second-year student.
In 1965, immediate past Branch President Dorothy Moser was killed in a car accident. Rather than send flowers, etc., the membership collected money for the scholarship fund and voted to rename the scholarship “The Dorothy Moser AAUW Scholarship.”
In 1982, the Branch members felt there was enough money in the Branch treasury to begin a Continuing Education Scholarship for women who already held a bachelors degree and were working toward an advanced degree. The Branch has continued to sponsor these two scholarships, through various means of fundraising.
— Excerpted from History of the Coeur d’Alene Area Branch AAUW, 1938 — 2013, by Darleen Sheldon